Thursday, June 12, 2008

Improving your writing


Is there anything wrong with how you write? Do you want to know how to repair your writing?

If so, stop.

People read the writing of others because they want something unique from another, they want a different point of view, a different expression. They want something new.

If you try to “fix” the way you write, who's rules are you going to be following? And how are you going to make your writing different from their's? If you can't keep your own unique take on things then you'll never achieve what you want. Readership.

While, yes, I believe we should all write for ourselves I also understand that most of us want some form of recognition for our scribblings. Whether you aim for fame, or simply the kind words of a stranger, you do want someone (or everyone) to read what you've written and appreciate it.

This is why I believe you have to write for yourself. If you think too hard about the opinions of others, you'll never reach your full potential.

It is, after all, the personality in your writing that really separates you from everyone else. If you expend too much energy on worrying about what others think, you'll suppress your own special 'something'. If you do that then, chances are, no one will have an opinion of you one way or another.
People not noticing you is always far worse than them having something bad to say about what you do.

1 comment:

oniongirl said...

maskman - a real challenge for me is to continue to 'emote' in the face of my own critique. for long periods of time, facing my own writing makes me physically ill - as if shame is slow poison (perhaps it is?)

i'm not too hooked up on what others think, although i can get rather irate/hurt when i sense that the 'critique' is a poorly stitched robe for personal vitriol.

do you also have those 'cant face my pen or it's spawn moments?

p.s cant change my style or improve on my form - not educated enough ;-)